Blues Away: How To Wear Anything Head-To-Toe

4:01 AM Unknown 0 Comments


   If you have read my previous posts or if you know me in person, you'd know that I'm a fan of head-to-toe styling. Be it all-black, all-white or all-denim, etc, you name it. But such a style isn't easy to pull off. While reward is high, there is a corresponding risk that's probably as high, if not higher. Head-to-toe styling draws a line between looking stylish and looking tacky. Remember those Max candy commercials? Yup, there's a risk of looking like that. Eeek. The horror. So you have to be smart in picking the individual pieces and in putting them together. In this post, i'll give two tips on how to do it.




What I'm Wearing: Varsity Jacket (Topman), Denim Button-Down (Zara), Jeans (Zara), Shoes (Dockers), Mustache Necklace (Topman)

   One way to avoid looking tacky is by creating a silhouette by incorporating some element/s (i.e. in texture) that is/are of different nature.  For example, if you're sporting head-to-toe black, instead of wearing black cotton jacket to match the other black cotton pieces, why not find a good leather jacket? You'll still be wearing all-black but unlike in the previous one, here, there is a more defined silhouette.   

  Another way is by splashing a shade or colour that is different ( if you want to play safe, use neutral colours) than the rest. Maybe you can do this in accessories, shoes, bag, etc. I know what you're thinking-it's cheating as it defeats the head to heels attire. Well, i don't think so. By head to toe, you don't always have to follow it in its literal meaning. It's enough that the the pieces/entirety of your outfit is predominantly of the same colour/texture/etc.    

 Take a look at my outfit. In this, I have applied the tips that I have given above. First, while the button-down and the pants are both denim, I created a silhouette by capping the outfit off with a cotton jacket. Second, instead of wearing the same shade of blue, my jacket, as you can see, is of a bit lighter shade. Lastly, I splashed a bit of brown in my shoes and in my accessories to give that breath of fresh air.






0 comments: